Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hurricane Irene Aftermath

We survived the hurricane. As I write this from a friend's house, we still have no electricity and no running water. Power has been out for about 20 hours, but we are not expecting to get power back tomorrow, so we will make do. Lots of water in the basement, but a friend from church kindly let us use their generator, so we can keep the freezer going and my husband was able to shop-vac the water out of the basement.
Several bridges and dams in our area washed out- this bridge is about a mile and a half from our house, and we will have to take an alternate route for a while:



Truly, though, we are grateful that we are safe and sound. I am sad to say that a 20 year old girl that my daughter went to high school with was swept away in her car while driving through the storm, and she drowned. It happened only about 3 miles from our house. Just a week ago, a young man (age 21) that we knew was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident. It has been a sad week. It makes us all the more aware of how fragile and tenuous life is. It makes me want to grab my kids and hug them and squeeze them and kiss them, and never ever let them out of my sight. These families are in my prayers.

I don't know when power will be back on. In the meantime, I am cleaning out the studio, throwing away lots of stuff and giving lots of fabric away to friends and to charities. Have a safe and good week.


17 comments:

  1. Jacquelynne, I am so grateful that you and your family were spared. I know that many have heavy hearts right now - I am so glad that you are safe. Hope you get your power back soon. That's always the way I feel after something like that; I just want to hug 'em all and say "thanks" to the One who kept us safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to hear you and yours are safe. I hope your power returns sooner than expected. ~hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am so thankful you are safe, praying for those who have lost so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, am glad you and your family are safe but sad about those losses you mentioned. Hopefully, your power will be restored before too much longer. We were lucky in our area of southern DE, although we had to evacuate for 48 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, I too am very saddened by the losses in your community. Yes indeed, life is fragile and to be cherished. Hope your power returns quickly. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have indeed had a very hard week and I pray for your comfort, safety and strength as you and your community recover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a huge storm. Sorry to read about the young lives....

    Hope your power is back on quickly.....

    Life is very fragile...


    Sandyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...so much destruction...I too am glad you're safe. I pray that situations get remedied quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The power of Hurricane Irene was amazing. Thankful that you and your family is safe. Praying for all those affected by the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sad. Glad you guys are okay. Luckily it wasn't worse than it was.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow such damage so glad it wasn't worse for you but so sad about such a young life taken.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have follow here in holland what happens it seems to me verry scarry. Horrible that young lives. A warm hug from here greating carina

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you are safe. I can't imagine what you have been through. From your pictures I'd say it was a very scary time! Is there anything we can do?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness....glad to know that all is well with you. Yes we all must be grateful for all things. May your town be repaired quickly and efficiently. May God bless those who lost loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We're glad that the storm was fairly kind to you and hope you get your power on soon. We know what its like to be without power. It is a shame that there was so much loss of life with the hurricane. Are you sure that we can't make you feel better by sending you some fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was just wondering about you this morning. We are back home from a short vacay and are re-gathering ourselves to see what we want to do next. I was watching the news and couldn't stop thinking about you. I hope you are home and dry and safe today.
    Lots of love~

    ReplyDelete
  17. It’s heartbreaking to hear about the destruction this hurricane left behind. I’m sorry to hear about the misfortune of your neighbors, and everyone who suffered the same tragic fate, for that matter. Life is certainly fragile, and we must do everything to keep ourselves and our families safe. It's good to know you were safe during that horrible storm. Stay safe!

    Sharon Strock @ Storm Chamber®

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails