Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cinco de Mayo! Enchilada Casserole Recipe

I'm not sure why we celebrate Cinco de Mayo- from what I understand, it is much more popular in the United States than in Mexico. But a good excuse to load up on chips, salsa, and cheese, I think....

Anyway, last night, I made an enchilada casserole, to celebrate Quatro de Mayo. Since quatro de Mayo has no more significance to me than cinco de Mayo, I didn't think it was a problem. BTW, youngest daughter says we weren't celebrating Quatro de Mayo, but rather, National Jedi Day, as in: May the 4th be with you. Ha ha!!
Here is the recipe- it is super simple and tasty! Of course, I could eat Mexican food 6 days a week (I never met a carb I didn't like....)


Enchilada Casserole

1 T. oil
1 onion, chopped
1 lb. ground chicken, turkey, or beef
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and/or 1 can corn, drained or 1 c. frozen corn
1/2 of a 16 oz jar of salsa
salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne or chili pepper, cumin to taste
1 can (10 oz) can of enchilada sauce (I used green, you can use red or green)
8 corn tortillas
1 c. sour cream
1 bag (8 oz) shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large skillet, saute onion in oil, add ground meat and stir to break up, cook until meat is no longer pink. Add beans, corn and salsa. Season to taste. Cook about 5 minutes until bubbly.
Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream.

Spray a 13 x 9 pan with cooking spray. Spread half of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of the dish. Put 4 of the tortillas in the bottom of the dish (I tear them up to make them fit better.)


Spread meat mixture over tortillas. Sprinkle with half of the cheese.


Put remaining 4 tortillas on top, spread with remaining enchilada sauce. Cover and bake 40 minutes.

Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake, uncovered, another 10 minutes, until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

  1. Oh good golly, I can taste the carbs from here! I love Mexican too and have never tried this recipe...wonder where I could cut the fat! LOLOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to try your recipe, it looks so yummy and is a perfect on to serve when my family comes over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy. I must give it a try! Quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails