Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Tasty Birthday....

Sunday was my birthday- but it also happens to be the birthday of my good friend, John, so we all went out after church for brunch to celebrate (John likes to tell everyone that we are twins, even though he is a few years younger than me, and I think there are a few people who still actually believe it..... in addition to sharing a birthday, we also happen to celebrate other holidays on the same day, too, like Christmas and Arbor Day....) John's wife, Katherine (above) works in Philadelphia and knew of this place called Max Brenner's, which is really kind of Willy Wonka-esque. Lots and lots of chocolate. When this was mentioned as a possibility for a birthday celebration, I said, I am in.
We had a hard time deciding what to order... should we order "real food" and then dessert, or just go for the waffles and french toast which WERE LIKE DESSERT...... hmmm.... we finally decided to get "real food" aka omelettes first, to fortify our blood sugar levels for the dessert course. (Wise decision, by the way.)

I got a new camera for my birthday, which I brought with me so I could document the event. However, when the food came to the table, photos were completely forgotten.... I remembered about halfway through our meal....
and yes those are little bowls of melted butter and melted milk chocolate that came with our meal..... Afterwards it was time for dessert..... another tough decision..... ice cream? cake? waffles?? Hubby and I shared Tutti Frutti waffles (yes this is on the brunch menu but we ordered it for dessert..... honestly I can't imagine having this for breakfast.... it almost puts me into a diabetic coma just thinking about it.... ) Waffles, strawberries, blueberries, toffee bananas, melted milk chocolate, vanilla ice cream.................................................... Needless to say... photos were again forgotten and I remembered only when there was nothing left to photograph but the aftermath..... It may look like I licked the plate clean, but I assure you that I did not (though, had we not been in a public place, I cannot say what might have happened....)


Afterwards we walked around the city a little (exercise was well-called for) and I used a little of my birthday money to buy some favorite magazines at the book store, then we came home and I relaxed on the sofa enjoying my magazines (I think there was probably a little nap in there, too.)

As I mentioned, I got a new camera, a Canon PowerShot, which is nice and small so I can carry it in my purse, and hopefully not miss photo opportunities again (unless it involves food, in which case photos will probably be forgotten anyway....)

3 comments:

  1. It looks like a great way to spend a birthday!

    Who can think about pictures when there's chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day! And melted milk chocolate with your breakfast. Sounds perfect to me! I don't have a new camera and I still forget to take pictures of good food. Did it this past weekend at the quilting retreat we went to. I guess the stomach takes control and says "Let's eat" and the mind says "go for it"! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looked like fun! I have not heard of this restaurant.

    Happy belated birthday. You all look so happy.

    Becky K

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails