Monday, June 23, 2008

The 40 Day Fast

On July 16, it will be my turn to fast for The 40 Day Fast, a movement that started last year. For 40 days, a bunch of bloggers will fast for a particular cause, and write about it. Please consider joining us in prayer, taking a few moments each day to think and pray on the world's needs that will be focused on for that day, and to be grateful for all of the blessings bestowed on us. The photo that started it all was on Kat's blog, and it was entitled "Please don't look away." I want to look away, really, I do. I want to pretend that these horrors don't exist, but they do, and I don't know why my children are safe and well fed and well educated, and millions are starving to death or suffering from easily prevented diseases. I don't know why I got to be born in the U.S., and some are born in the poorest regions of Africa or South America or Asia. I can only think, There but for the grace of God go I. It could have been me, it could have been my child in that photo. But it's not, and so I have to ask myself, what does God want me to do with this, with this life and these resources He has given me. Obviously, He wants me to share of my time time and financial resources, and my influence as a wealthy Westerner. How do I do this, when the needs in the world seem overwhelming? I do what I can- sometimes that means giving money, often it means praying, fasting, and just being grateful for what I have. And it means stop whining. For if God loves a cheerful giver, I think He is really annoyed with us whiners.

So for the next 40 days, in addition to checking in with my fellow bloggers and offering them and their causes my support and prayers, I will try to live by that important 11th commandment (too bad Moses ran out of space on the tablet)- Thou shalt not whine.

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 2 Corinthians 9:6-8
P.S.: Oh, God, You are soooooooo funny.... For just as I was getting ready to hit the "publish post" button, I heard a crash from the kitchen. Seems someone left a beer in the freezer, which exploded all over the freezer and then came crashing out when my daughter opened the door (I really hate beer...) As I grumbled complained and yes WHINED as I started to clean it up, I was reminded of what I had written not 3 minutes earlier. So here goes.....
I am grateful that I have a freezer.
I am grateful that I have a pretty wonderful husband, even though he can occasionally be kind of a knuckle-head (as can I)
I am grateful that I have 10 fingers, even though 1 is bleeding right now from cleaning up shattered glass.
I guess if I were really grateful, I wouldn't have had to mention any of this at all, but I'm just not that far along yet......

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails